Supermoon Tonight!

Tonight it's the Supermoon - the biggest full moon of the year!

"The moon will be up to 14 percent bigger and 30 percent brighter than the other full moons of 2012, according to NASA.

That's because it will reach perigee, its closest point to Earth in its elliptical orbit, at 11:34 p.m. ET and become full just a minute later" - more here on the CBS News site.


I'm hoping to get a couple of pictures if the cloud cover isn't too heavy! (our Hound is usually restless around the full moon and gets up half-a-dozen times a night - I swear she has a touch of shifter in her - *g* - which is how I have these pics* of a full moon from Nov 2011).

This is from 12.11.11- 06.15 - the actual full moon but, as you can see, it was a tad cloudy so not a great shot.

This is from 13.11.11 - 03.17 - no clouds here!

This is from 13.11.11 - 08.10 - not long before dawn which meant more light for the camera, and more definition for the picture.
 * Nov wasn't long after we got our new camera and the novelty of getting good pictures overrode my usual need to crawl back into bed asap! :-D

2 comments:

Mardel said...

I LOVE pictures of moons and other planets. must have science geek hidden genes in me. *g*

Suzanne McLeod said...

I do too, Mardel! I have fun with the pics, though really would need a longer lens to get really good ones :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...